After the postponed comeback of Team 18 Sapeurs-Pompiers, French Fire Brigade Team, due to the cancellation of the Bol d’Or 2020, we are soon ready to take to the start on April 18th on the Bugatti track in Le Mans! The 2019/20 blank season, widely presented here, was favourable first of all to a reorganisation of the team, the technical preparation, and also to create new, solid links, to be stronger tomorrow, and to capitalise on a maximum of chances to perform in 2021 in the Superstock category. Let’s come down to the details.
1. Together we’re stronger: Team 18 Sapeurs-Pompiers devient Team 18 Sapeurs-Pompiers CMS Motostore
Like other endurance teams, under the pressure of having to constantly improve their competitiveness – and find the necessary funds, the combination of the highly experienced world endurance team and the CMS Team led by Thierry Maurin, sharpened in the SBK French Championship, with among others driver Axel Maurin, forms the solid base for the 2021 season.
2. The riders: 3rd rider just confirmed!
Just like other sports, autumn / winter is also a « mercato time » in motorbike racing. And the one at the end of this year was fruitful, and allows now to announce the identity of the 3 riders who will place the « Beautiful Red one » -even if in 2021 it won’t have this colour exclusivity anymore- at the highest level.
– 2 times second in the Endurance World Cup,
– Winner of the Superstock Endurance World Cup 2019-2020, #96 MotoAin.
– French Promosport 1000 Champion in 2018,
– Winner of the Bol d’Or in Superstock 2016 with Moto Ain #96, sharing the handlebars with …Hugo Clere!
– Winner of the 24H du Mans in Superstock 2019 with Motors Evens #50
– Superstock 2017 Endurance World Champion with Viltaïs
– Awards, all categories included: 3 championship titles, 32 victories, 30 poles and 76 podiums!
Update May 26th, 2021:
As 24H Motos have been postponed from April to 12-13th of June, Bastien Mackels will not be able to attend this edition, as he is booked in IDM Championship. So, he is replaced by Matthieu Lussiana for this race. Matthieu has a lot of experience in endurance racing, among others with the Yamaha 3ART team, and we all remember the 2011 edition with the Lussiana team, which enabled André Lussiana to experience the adventure of endurance racing with his sons.
Text : Isabelle Maillet